Are you planning to explore San Mateo as a tourist? In this article, we’ve mentioned the 10 best things to do in San Mateo that you can explore there to make the most of your trip.
If you are searching for fun things in San Mateo County, then visiting this city would be your best decision. The city of San Mateo has various cool attractions to explore, and one can experience great adventurous things to do in San Mateo.
The city is blessed with various natural attractions, and if you are a nature lover, you might be able to see a lot of natural places.
There are various accommodation options, which makes this even more accessible for people who visit here for the first time.
Here are the best 10 things to do in San Mateo that one can enjoy while visiting the beautiful city of San Mateo.
Best Things to Do in San Mateo
1. Japanese Garden
A Japanese garden is one of the best places to get close to nature in San Mateo. The garden, which was established in the 1920s, is located in the Central Park of the city.
The Japanese garden covers an area of about 16 acres and is designed by a Japanese landscape architect who accumulated a great deal of expertise while functioning in the Tokyo Royal Household.
- Location – Fifth Ave., San Mateo, CA 04401-4107 US.
- Visiting Hours – 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- Famous For – Japanese Architecture.
2. Ryptic Room Escape
Ryptic Room Escape is a great place to play games and have fun with family and friends. People of all ages can come here and enjoy themselves; around 4–12 people are needed to play games at this place.
There are several rooms at this place where you and your friends will be plagued by an enigmatic ghost in every one of the chambers you choose, and you will have 60 minutes to locate hints, solutions, keys, and riddles that will allow you to evacuate the room before time runs out.
- Location – 205 E 3rd Ave, San Mateo, CA 94401, US.
- Visiting Hours – 9:00 AM to 11:30 PM
- Famous For – Family games.
3. Hillsdale Shopping Center
Hillsdale Shopping Center is the largest mall in the whole city and consists of over 100 retail stores. This center is one of the best places to satisfy your insatiable appetite for high-quality activities and unique culinary options.
You can get a variety of luxurious brand products that you will undoubtedly enjoy.
- Location – 60 31st Ave, San Mateo, CA 94403, US.
- Visiting Hours – 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM
- Famous For – Shopping Options.
4. Bel Mateo Bowl
Bel Mateo Bowl is a great family experience that you can do with your friends and family. There are various bowling associations and other informal contests that can be enjoyed by people visiting there.
The establishment features many tracks as well as a bar area that offers a variety of beverages and free coffee. Visitors may taste Bel Mateo Bowl’s delectable trademark pizza in addition to the beverages.
- Location – 4330 Olympic Ave, San Mateo, CA 94403-5173, US.
- Visiting Hours – 10:00 AM to 11:00 PM
- Famous For – Bowling game.
5. Coyote Point Recreation Area
Coyote Point Recreation Area is situated on the shores of San Francisco Bay and is a 700-acre area.
The recreation area provides you with various outdoor activities, due to which the place is usually crowded by visitors.
Coyote Point is an excellent place to help you come near nature and does various fun activities such as catching fish, paragliding, bird viewing, motorcycling, and sunbathing.
If you are planning a picnic with your friends and family, then you must choose this place for a great experience.
- Location – 1701 Coyote Point Dr, San Mateo, CA 94401-1001 US.
- Visiting Hours – 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Famous For – Various outdoor activities
6. Neal’s Coffee Shop
Neal’s Coffee Shop is the best place for coffee lovers; it is the most recommended coffee shop by locals to all visitors.
This shop has two locations, one on De Anza Boulevard and one in Burlingame. The coffee provided at this place is reasonable and quite tasty.
This shop was first established in 1996, and since then it has served healthy entrees to all its customers.
- Location – 114 De Anza Blvd, San Mateo, CA 94402, US.
- Visiting Hours – 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM.
- Famous For – Best Coffee in the city.
7. Magic Mountain Playground
If you are visiting the city with your young ones, then you must go to Magic Mountain Playground.
The beautiful Magic Mountain Playground is situated in Coyote Point Recreation Area, which provides a variety of fun activities for the children.
The place is dog-friendly, and the fee charged is around $6 per person.
- Location – 12 Airport Blvd, San Mateo, CA 94401-1006 US.
- Visiting Hours – 8:00 AM to 7:30 PM
- Famous For – Children fun activity.
8. Junipero Serra Statue
Among the biggest attractions in San Mateo is indeed the Junipero Serra Monument, which is worth seeing even if it won’t take much of your time. Since the middle of the 1970s, this monument has served as a memorial to Junipero Serra.
- Location – San Mateo, CA 94402, US.
- Visiting Hours – 24/7
- Famous For – Being a memorial.
9. San Mateo County History Museum
If you are into history, then visiting the San Mateo County History Museum will be the best decision that you can make.
The museum is situated in the former courthouse of the city, which has been in existence for decades.
The History Museum is operated by the local historical society, which focuses on the growth of San Mateo City.
- Location – 12 Minute Ride from San Mateo city
- Visiting Hours – 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- Famous For – Exploring the history.
A great place for many folks to chill out and view various native wildlife is CuriOdyssey, a zoo and scientific play area.
Children may play with scientific representations including reflectivity, physical processes, garden research, natural processes, and sensations at Curia Odyssey.
Through instructional initiatives and regular public animal feedings, the charity aims to connect children with nature.
- Location – 1651 Coyote Point Dr, San Mateo, CA 04401, US.
- Visiting Hours – 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Famous For – Scientific Exhibitions.
Conclusion – Best Things to Do in San Mateo
San Mateo is one of the best cities in California that you should visit. The city is quite beautiful and is loved by most of the people who visit here. The things mentioned in this article are undoubtedly one of the best things to do in San Mateo, California.
FAQs – Best Things to Do in San Mateo
1. What are the most popular tourist attractions in San Mateo?
There are several places that you must visit in San Mateo, such as the Japanese Garden, Ryptic Room Escape, CuriOdyssey, the San Mateo County History Museum, Junipero Serra’s Statue, Magic Mountain Playground, etc.
2. What is the best time to visit San Mateo?
The best time to visit this beautiful city is during the monsoons.
3. What are the best restaurants in San Mateo?
There are several restaurants in San Mateo, such as Jack’s Restaurant and Bar, Pausa Bar & Cookery, All Spice, Concord Visitor Center, etc.
4. What are the best accommodation options in San Mateo?
There are several accommodation options in San Mateo, such as the Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo, the Best Western Coyote Point Inn, the Grand Bay Hotel San Francisco, etc.
Want to explore more cities? Read the guide on Santa Monica, Santa Clarita, Sonoma, Stockton, Fresno, Needles, Pasadena, Hayward, Redwood City, and Riverside.