In this article, we’ve mentioned the 10 best things to do in Hayward, California for all kinds of travelers to make the most of their trip.
Hayward is one of the most beautiful cities in Alameda County, California. It is located in the East Bay subregion of the San Francisco Bay Area. Hayward is Alameda County’s third largest city and is well known for its arts and culture.
In 2008, the Hayward Public Art Program decided to make the city more beautiful, and for that, the city had to combat graffiti (the art of making paintings on walls). For this initiative, the city won the Helen Putnam Award for Excellence in 2011.
The downtown area of the city consists of various cultural landmarks. There are even various historic sites and park-protected areas in the city, which make the city better and more beautiful for tourism.
There are a lot of things to do in Hayward for the tourist visiting the city. If you are someone who is planning to visit Hayward, add these things to your bucket list and make your trip the most of it.
Interesting Facts about Hayward, CA
- In the beginning, it was referred to as “Hayward’s,” after William Hayward, the first postmaster in the region.
- California’s Bay Area includes the bustling metropolis of Hayward, which ranks as the sixth-largest city in the area.
- There are some of the most famous persons in the world who reside in Hayward, California like Isaiah Taylor, Claudia Kolb, etc.
- The disastrous Hayward earthquake, which was named after the city, devastated the city in 1868.
- Hayward is a really cosmopolitan city because it is home to many immigrants from different countries.
Here are the 10 best things to do in Hayward, California for any kind of traveler.
10 Things to Do in Hayward, California
1. Hayward Japanese Garden
The Hayward Japanese Garden is the oldest traditional Japanese garden in the whole city. It was strictly created as per the traditional notches of traditional Japan and provides you with a glimpse of Japanese tradition.
You can see various bridges, ponds, and flora and fauna, which look amazing and resemble Japan in a great way.
If you want a tranquil place for relaxing, exploring Hayward Japanese Garden will be the best thing to do in Hayward for you.
- Location: 22372 N 3rd St, Hayward, CA 94546
- Opening Hours 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Famous for: It provides you with an exact glimpse of Japan.
2. Garin Regional Park
Garin Regional Park provides the visitor with 20 kilometers of hiking and horseback riding. One can explore around 5,000 acres by visiting the place. The park is beautiful and was a farm for Andrew J. Garin.
The legend sold his cattle and gave the park to the municipality. The green hills climb more than 500 meters above sea level, and the unique vistas from their summits include the whole Bay Area.
- Location: 1320 Garin Ave., Hayward, CA 94544
- Opening Hours: 8:00 am – 9:00 pm
- Famous For: It is famous for its hiking and greenery.
3. Street Food at Watkins Street
The city is not fashionable but provides the best cuisine compared to the neighboring communities. Watkins Street is the best place to try the local cuisine, and there are various local vendors and trucks that park up and sell the most delicious food in the city.
The quality of the food will be reflected in the choice of your restaurants. Mexican cuisine is one of the best and is loved by most people. There are even various food varieties such as American, Vietnamese, Korean, and Japanese barbeques on the street.
- Location: Watkins Street
- Famous For: Its variety of local cuisine makes it famous.
4. Mural Arts Program of Hayward
The main intention of the arts program is to stop the damage to the city and give it a new look using graffiti art. There are various small foundations, schools, and business owners who volunteer in this program.
The location has motivational artwork that promotes civic pride, a feeling of communal identification, intercultural awareness, artistic creativity, and cultural variety.
- Location: Foothill Blvd., Hayward, CA
- Opening hours: 24/7
- Famous for: It is famous for its initiative to make the city beautiful.
5. Sun Gallery
The Sun Gallery provides visitors with an astonishing experience. The gallery hosts exhibitions on a variety of topics throughout the year, highlighting emerging artists.
It provides space for displays that support environmental protection and preservation as part of its campaigning in order to attract the attention of locals. If you seek in-depth explanations of the art community, Sun Gallery also hosts art parties hosted by art professors.
- Location: 1015 E St., Hayward, CA 94541, US
- Opening Hours: On Friday and Saturday, 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Famous for: Various exhibitions throughout the year.
6. McConaghy House
The McConaghy House provides a glimpse of local history. The large house was built by Neal McConaghy, who was a citizen of Antrim County in 1888. It was occupied by the family for over 84 years.
In 1979, the Hayward Area Historical Society retained the house and converted it into a museum. Visiting this museum is one of the best things to do in Hayward for every history buff.
- Location: 18701 Hesperian Blvd, Hayward, CA 94541, US
- Opening Hours: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Famous For: It provides a glimpse into the local history of the city.
7. Buffalo Bills
The Buffalo Bills are a bold step forward in changing the perception of brewing in America. It was established in 1983 and became the first brewpub in the whole country.
It also helped with the craft beer movement. The place provides you with the best craft beer combined with year-round and seasonally popular items.
- Location: 1082 B St., Hayward, CA 94541
- Opening Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Famous For: It is well-known for being the first brewery chain.
8. Sulphur Creek Nature Center
This is a great place for children and is a rehabilitation center for animals. More than 900 animals are treated at this place throughout the year. The best part about this place is that it provides an open space for animals, which helps them heal quickly, and one can easily observe them.
The staff at this place is friendly and will teach kids to feed and take care of their animals by themselves.
- Location: 1801 D St., Hayward, CA 94541, US
- Opening Hours: 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM (on TTS)
- Famous For: It is famous for its variety of animals.
9. San Leandro
The neighborhood of San Leandro is located above Hayward and dates all the way back to 1872, making it a really historic California city. Visiting there is undoubtedly one of the best things to do in Hayward, California.
The bayfront oyster fields, which at their peak supported the greatest oyster fishery in North America, served as the center of the society’s growth. The oyster business declined in the 20th century as the waterways became too dirty to support healthy oysters.
Famous For: It is famous for being a great historic place in California.
10. Hayward Shoreline Interpretive Center
This place is nature-centered and is mostly visited by local school students for educational purposes. On weekends, the Interpretive Center is accessible to the general public.
The center’s emphasis is on wetlands and coastal habitats, featuring displays on freshwater and native fauna as well as changing presentations on other relevant subjects.
- Location: 4901 Breakwater Ave., Hayward, CA 94545, US
- Opening Hours: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (FSS)
- Famous for: Educational Purposes
Where to Stay in Hayward, California
The Bay Area can be easily explored from Hayward, California, which is a cheap and practical base. Surprisingly many different tourist attractions are offered by this town’s distinct community in the Midwest.
Check out the top hotels to stay in Hayward while you visit this city!
1. Overall Best hotel in Hayward – La Quinta by Wyndham Oakland – Hayward
The La Quinta Hotel & Suites Oakland – Hayward offers free grab-and-go breakfast and an outdoor pool.
There is a flat-screen TV with cable in each guest room. It takes 15 minutes to get to the Oakland International Airport by car.
- Location: 20777 Hesperian Boulevard, Hayward, CA
- Amenities: Lift, WiFi, Air conditioning, and Pets allowed.
- Food Information: Minimarket.
2. Best Luxury Hotel in Hayward – Hampton Inn Oakland-Hayward
Interstate 880 and a number of local attractions are both conveniently close by. The Oakland-Hayward Hampton Hotel also offers visitors a range of considerate extras, like a complimentary cooked breakfast.
- Location: 24137 Mission Boulevard, Hayward, CA
- Amenities: Vending machine (drinks), Fax/photocopying, Dry cleaning, Business center.
- Food Information: Cafe, Vending machine.
3. Best Cheap Hotel in Hayward – Best Western PLUS Inn of Hayward
This Hayward motel is near Highway 880 and offers roomy accommodations with complimentary WiFi and cable TV.
The Best Western PLUS Hotel of Hayward’s traditionally decorated rooms all come with a sizable work desk and a lounge area.
- Location: 360 West A Street, Hayward, CA
- Amenities: Laundry, Jacuzzi, Sun Terrace, Business center.
- Food Information: Restaurant, Cafe.
Where to Eat in Hayward, California
Just a 30-minute drive from San Francisco, Hayward, which is in the East Bay, offers a variety of cuisines to satisfy any taste.
The city has standard American dining options, including burgers and steakhouses, as well as one of the first local breweries in the nation that still makes its own beers to pair with the regional cuisine.
Here are some famous restaurants in Hayward –
1. La Piñata
La Piñta is a Mexican restaurant with a colorful outside and interior, replete with traditional paintings on the walls, that has been serving the Bay Area for more than 30 years.
Location: 904 Rose St, Hayward, CA 94541, United States
2. Val’s Burgers
A traditional American diner featuring dark red leather seats, a laid-back ambiance, and an outdoor kitchen where chefs prepare the meal in front of you can be found at Val’s Burgers.
Location: 2115 Kelly St, Hayward, CA 94541, United States
A straightforward Japanese eatery called Sushiland serves sushi along with other foods like salads and noodles.
Location: 19740 Mission Blvd, Hayward, CA 94541, United States
Conclusion – Best Things to do in Hayward, CA
Hayward city is so beautiful and consists of various historical, educational, and cultural sites that are loved by everyone. The things mentioned above are the best things to do in Hayward, CA. If you are in Hayward, must experience these things.
FAQs – Best Things to Do in Hayward, California
1. What are the most popular tourist attractions in Hayward, California?
There are various tourist attractions in Hayward, California, such as the Hayward Japanese Garden, the Sun Gallery, McConaghy House, and Garin Regional Park.
2. What is the best time to visit Hayward, California?
The best time to visit the city is during the monsoon.
3. What are the best restaurants in Hayward, California?
The best restaurants in Hayward, California, are Neumanali, Acqua and Farina, Buon Appetito, Black Bear Diner, etc.
4. What are the best accommodation options in Hayward, California?
The best accommodation options in Hayward, California, are the Hampton Inn Oakland-Hayward, Home2 Suites by Hilton Hayward, Quality Inn Hayward, and Mission Inn & Suites Hayward.